Thursday, March 18, 2010

Finally a little sunshine!

 The sun finally came out for the last half of the day. I took advantage of it by planting  4 more grape vines that we picked up this morning  at a nearby co-op. I was pretty excited to find this particular variety called "Fredonia". Doing a little research led me to this vine, and it's apparently grown and sold at a local winery. ( I haven't actually tried it yet, but if it grows at all, I'm willing to give it a chance! I'm testing several varieties in this row, and hope to find one that will work well for our area. I planted this row on 32" centers and I'm eventually going to burry a 2x10 down both sides of the row to try and keep out the Bermuda, and make it a little easier to mow around. I'm also planning on setting up a watering system similar to the one we saw while traveling in Italy last year.    

This year I decided to attempt to warm up the soil a little using this quick and easy covering constructed of 4-8' PVC pipes, a handful of metal connectors, and some 3 mil plastic. So far it seems to be working pretty good. Once it gets a little warmer, I'm going to use the same frame and cover it with some bird netting to help keep out deer and other friendly little rabbits that seem to really enjoy my lettuce buffet.  

Today I also moved my tomato seedlings out to the potting shed and got the grow lights up and running again. I was pleasantly surprised to find that everything seemed to be in working order, with the exception of my super fancy Gilmore spray nozzle that I picked up at the end of last season. It seemed to be leaking out of every joint, with the exception to the one that was supposed to have water coming out it. Guess that's what I get for leaving it exposed to the freezing temps all winter.  Above are some of the first tomatoes that I've gotten started. I know I'm a little late with these, but with this never-ending winter, I figure I should be ok.The glow from the potting shed is pretty unmistakeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment